STORYTELLING IN ORIGINAL VOICE®
ROWING SONGS FOR THE NIGHT-SEA JOURNEY
Registration Deposit Option
A deposit will hold your place at the event. If you put down a deposit, the balance must be paid by July 18th, 2014, to assure a place in the training. After July 18th only full tuition payments will be accepted. For questions about tuition please contact Nona at 303-443-5858.
2013 Training Overview
“We are all born gifted. We are all called to create. We are all called to serve.”
from The Dangerous Old Woman audio work.
Story is a vessel to row forward in your life…a lifeboat, a row boat carrying the precious cargo of ancient and modern instruction for striving to live a life filled with creative fire, meaning, healing, and love. Our stories—whether in dreams, case studies, the tiny story held in a sonnet, the story of the tree across the road, your ancestral stories, or the stories you witness firsthand in the world of family—are the 'sudden inspiration compasses' that surrounds each soul on earth.
This is Original Voice®. Do you know how to hear it, and how to let it be heard in every story you tell?
With “Rowing Songs for the Night-Sea Journey” Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estés invites you to join her for a five-day intensive training in the essential art of storytelling. Dr. Estés unleashed a worldwide renaissance in storytelling that retrieved and offered back to the world the living red heart of personal and archetypal narrative with her international bestselling work Women Who Run With the Wolves. This September in Loveland, Colorado, you will have the opportunity to learn from one of the preeminent storytellers of our time, a one-of-a-kind trailblazer in the field of archetypal and healing stories, and a cantadora (keeper of the old stories in the Latina tradition). Drawing on ethnic oral traditions from her immigrant and refugee family and her rich experience as poet and psychoanalyst, she teaches you how to you can revive storytelling from its flattened, forgotten, and sometimes forbidden place in our culture and return it to its sacred place at the heart of our lives.
Story is the way we communicate with each other, soul to soul. Original Voice in storytelling can be used to cut across cultural and educational boundaries. A mission statement, a love letter, a university lecture, an activist’s manifesto, an artists’ field guide, teaching a child, guiding an adult, helping the souls of others… all of these are a form of story in which we share critical and soulful information with others.
We choose from many different voices to tell these stories—the mythological, spiritual, pragmatic, and psychological, to name a few. But when so many outside voices tell us what to feel and how to express ourselves, we can find ourselves adrift at sea, desperately hoping for the fair wind that will guide us to reclaim the Original Voice we were born with.
Dr. Estés will help you retrieve your Original Voice and develop a new sense confidence in how you carry your stories, how you place them in the world, for your own understanding, and in order to help others understand something of great importance.
Over the course of five days of face-to-face training, Dr. Estés will teach the tools needed to push away the pre-existing creative blocks and clouded thinking, and to delve into dark and beautiful deep hidden places in yourself that hold the words and images that shape who you truly are—and compel others to listen to you.
Hers are time-tested tools and methods, hard won by her years of dedicated writing, research, and teaching. Dr. Estés will reveal the scars, strengths and embattled gifts that come to us on the night-sea journeys, and how she—and many others throughout time—have pulled and pulled at the oars of their small boats on the vast ocean of the overculture, in order to bring creative work up from the depths and to hold in full light forever.
In daily teachings Dr. Estés will provide all meditations and exercises, and opportunities to ask questions about your own process and interests. You will also work in small groups to deepen the exercises.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- The Overculture’s Attempts to Swamp Authentic Story: How and why one-of-a-kind voice has often been squelched, and how to retreive it, by first provisioning and clearing the decks and raising one's spirit flags.
- Diving into The Wreck: How to descend into the conscious and the unconscious to find your own stories in your own Original Voice, and then ascend again.
- Sparkling Waters of Consciousness: How to use meditative and trance techniques to retrieve Original Voice.
- Observing the Horizon Line: How to center oneself, and deal with creative and performance worries, so as to create gates instead of walls for yourself.
- Lifting Off the Shoals: More water, not less. How to use active imagination to dialog with Original Voice when you become momentarily ‘stuck’ along the way.
- Here There be Scoundrel Ships: How to pinpoint fears that undermine your rowing the treasures to port.
- Rowing Strong: How to build spiritual muscle to focus your story and face down your own slogs of procrastination and perfectionism.
- One-of –a- Kind, i.e., Truing the Lumber for the Vessel: How to call up powerful inspirations without trying to be someone you are not.
- Maps by Those Who Came Before Us: How to recognize the importance of the genealogy of story in your work.
- Cross-checking of the Vessel: How to know if the story carries the power and the medicine, or not.
- Wrong Maps: How to know you are off track.
- Carving the Oars: How to shape the most compelling elements of story.
- To Go Where Few Others Have Gone: How to find the uncommon, the forgotten, the humble and the holy stories.
- The Bermuda Triangle: How to find the stories you and your generations may have lost.
- Navigation by Stars: How to travel backward in time and establish heritage routes to story.
- Presenting from the Captain’s Log: The deeply personal: How to share your story using your whole being, and have your story heard.
- Limberness of the Prow and Wheel: How to choose, decipher your audience and communicate with them specifically.
Who should attend: Anyone who holds, senses, carries the desire to help and/or heal others, those who long to deepen their personal and/or professional ability to communicate in compelling and memorable ways. Anyone who has a story to tell and wants to authentically touch or move people in order to bring something passionate and useful to others into the world. Those in the therapeutic, spiritual, and helping professions, artists, writers and healers of all kinds. People whose professions require exquisite communication in order to create successful human bonds, such as the law, mediation, clergy, family, cross-cultural endeavors, health and hospitals, peace and justice workers. Anyone working with human development, such as teachers, life coaches, and community leaders. People whose work is to influence others with important messages, such as publicists, marketing professionals, non profit managers, and speakers. Anyone who knows that their creativity and passion for life will be infinitely richer when they discover and are telling their own true story, unleashing their own Original Voice. And people who think they have no stories, but want dearly to go back in time to find theirs.
All participants new to Dr. Estés' trainings will be interviewed by the training coordinator. This is more like a conversation than a qualifying interview. One reason for this is to begin to establish and hold a group focus, so our time together can be deeper and richer.
Dr. Estés will teach the process and direct the in-depth exercises for learners, but cannot review nor endorse individual projects.
This Training Intensive on Original Voice, is not psychotherapy nor a substitute for psychotherapy.